The WCLS aims to be an international federation of associations of scholars working in the field of law and society and of institutions undertaking research, teaching and training in this broad field. WCLS aims to integrate diverse activities of law and society organizations world-wide by offering services beyond those conventionally undertaken by national or local associations. It aims to unite the competences of scholars throughout the world, by providing information and support, fostering collaboration, and facilitating networking. The WCLS will both support and strengthen existing organisations and stimulate and facilitate new organisations, especially in countries of the global South, by:
- creating a strong network, mainly facilitated through an interactive website
- increasing the visibility and awareness of law and society studies worldwide
- providing support for new organisations in the law and society field
- providing facilities for law and society organisations (e.g. membership database and subscription tracking, meeting/conference organisation, online publication of papers/journal)
- enabling member organisations to coordinate their activities (e.g. a central Events Calendar) and to plan joint activities
- facilitating collaborations and interactions between individual members of member associations, centres and other organisations, especially to organise and maintain Working Groups (through website facilities enabling blog/bulletin board, files archive, forum, chatroom, group email).
Founder Supporters: The development of this site and of WCLS has been possible by the initial commitments and contributions to a Launch Fund by over 20 organisations from many parts of the world active in socio-legal studies. Representatives from these Founder Supporters [+] will constitute a Committee which will prepare proposals for the initial Constitution of the WCLS, and for ensuring its sustainable development. [+Progress Report]